Sometimes we just want a little crunch for our morning breakfast and this recipe will satisfy that craving!
We love this muesli option because it is especially high in fiber and protein, and jam-packed with healthy fats. This breakfast will give you the sustainable energy you need to get you through the morning and if you are someone who crashes hours after eating cereal or oatmeal, this might serve to be a better option.
We have scaled the recipe to make 7-8 servings so you can make it in advance for quick preparation. Of course, you can scale it down if you just want to try one serving to see if you like it before investing (see recipe list at the end of post).
This recipe is NOT low calorie, so we advise you stick with the recommended 1/2 cup serving for breakfast. You will be extremely surprised at just how filling it can be!
Grain-Free Super Seed Muesli
*make approximately 7, 1/2 cup servings
Ingredients for make-ahead muesli mix:
- 1 cup sunflower seeds, preferably unsalted and raw if you can find
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup flaxseed, ground
- 1/2 cup dry coconut flakes, unsweetened
- 4 tsp cinnamon
- 4 tsp ground ginger (option)
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder, unsweetened
Additional ingredients needed to prepare muesli for breakfast:
- 3/4 cup non-dairy beverage, like almond or cashew milk, unsweetened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup dried fruit like raisins, goji berries, or cranberries
- 1 tsp coconut oil (optional – you may not need the extra fat)
- 2 tsp raw honey or maple syrup (optional – can also use pure stevia to limit sugar)
Method for make-ahead muesli mix:
- Add all ingredients into a bowl or jar. Mix with spoon or close lid on jar and shake!
- Store in tightly sealed container or jar (I just use the same jar I mixed the ingredients in to save dishes and time).
How to prep 1 bowl of muesli:
- Add 1/2 cup prepared muesli mix to small, microwave-safe dish
- Pour 3/4 cup non-dairy beverage over muesli and microwave on high for about 1 minute or until warm. (You can also warm your milk in a small saucepan over medium heat and pour over cereal if desired)
- Stir in vanilla and top with dried fruit and sweetener (optional).
- Add coconut oil if extra fat is needed.
Pictured Above: We put all of the muesli dry ingredients into a large jar.
Pictured Below: What the mix looks like after shaking and is ready for prep.
Recipe info: (1 serving contains the approximate nutrition) 502 total calories, 14 g protein, 41 g carbohydrates, 10 g fiber, 31 g fat (from healthy sources!), 42% DV calcium, 20% DV iron, 546 mg potassium, 120 g sodium * can reduce carbs by omitting dried fruit and/or sweeteners